|Date Posted||October 5, 2017|
* Assemble and fasten materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue. Build or repair cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, carpenter's hand tools, and power tools.
* Erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level. Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
* Apply paint, stain, varnish, enamel, and other finishes to equipment, buildings, bridges, and/or other structures, using brushes, spray guns, or rollers. Apply primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or metal, for finish coats. Cover surfaces with drop cloths or masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
* Fill cracks, holes, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
* Mix and match colors of paint, stain, or varnish with oil and thinning and drying additives in order to obtain desired colors and consistencies. Polish final coats to specified finishes. Install structures and fixtures, such as windows, frames, floorings, and trim, or hardware, using carpenter's hand and power tools.
* Remove fixtures such as pictures, doorknobs, lamps, and electric switch covers prior to painting.
* Remove old finishes by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or using water and/or abrasive blasting.
* Calculate amounts of required materials and estimate costs, based on surface measurements and/or work orders.
* Read work orders or receive instructions from supervisors in order to determine work requirements.
* Cut, fit, and assemble wood and other materials for the construction of buildings, highways, bridges, docks, industrial plants, boats, and many other structures.
* High School diploma or GED
* Courses in carpentry, shop, mechanical drawing, and general mathematics.
* Virginia Drivers License in good standing
* 3 years of experience and knowledge in building and ground maintenance, skilled in painting demolition and related tasks.
* Ability to use techniques, hand tools, power tools, materials, and appropriate equipment.
* Ability to carry 50 pounds for 50 yards.
* Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
* Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
NOTE: This position is designated as essential and, as such, all duties associated with this job are required during emergency situations which may include but are not limited to inclement weather, disaster response and emergency operations. VDOT/Contract Management will determine when essential positions are required.
Valid driver's license is required. DMV records check is required. Pre-employment drug screen is required. Fingerprint-based Criminal History Records Check and background check is required.